Trutch Street Houses
Proposing to rezone the property to allow for the creation of three additional rental units adjacent to the back lane of 601 Trutch: one through an extension to an existing restored garden shed and two in a proposed coach house adjacent to the lane. The project will provide additional residential accommodation without impacting the expansive landscaped Trutch Street frontage of the double lot which anchors the vista at the end of Collinson.
601 Trutch Street dates from 1861 and was designed by noted architect John Wright. The original home was converted into 11 housekeeping rooms in the late 1940s. It has been in our care since 1982 when heritage designation was secured from the city for both house and grounds to ensure long-term protection of this historic community asset. The careful restoration of the exterior that we undertook based upon archival records won 601 Trutch Street a Hallmark Award in 1984.